Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rock and Roll lives........what's on TV?

Don Kirschner died yesterday, and while I'm too young to remember the impact he had on the music world, I do remember him from my attempts at late-night TV viewing.

Saturday nights when my parents would go out were exciting for my brother and I. Swanson frozen dinners, bags of snacks, and Charles, the cool babysitter who was into KISS and knew where my dad kept his Penthouse mags. It may not sound glamorous to you but I loved me some Swanson Hungry Man Fried Chicken. My brother got the boneless chicken once and only once because Charles called it Boner Chicken. Good times. Goooooooood times.

Those nights were also awesome because it meant staying up late. And my brother and I would plan out the night of TV watching. This involved scanning through TV Guide and writing down what we were going to watch and what time those shows were on (this is all before we got our Atari 2600, which negated all TV watching). So we would always watch:

8 pm: Emergency!
9 pm: Love Boat
10 pm: Fantasy Island
11 pm: Some syndicated show I can't remember
11:30 pm: Saturday Night Live
1:00 am: The Kenny Everett Show (I think this was some kind of British variety show)

This list had a 1:30 and a 2:00 but I don't remember what they were. Not that it matters. I don't think I ever made it through SNL, usually falling asleep on the floor or something (kind of like now).

So what's the whole Don Kirschner connection to all of this? I remember seeing TV promos for the show. All I remember is that it was on very late (maybe that was my 2 am show) and I never watched it. But rest in peace, Mr. Kirschner. You had an amazing impact on the world of music. At least, that's what I hear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do any of these sound familiar?

Your Mom and Dad are home!!! Run up to your rooms and make believe you're asleep!

Uh oh… Whiskey's chewing up the board that's keeping him in the kitchen!

Calling the Kiss concert hotline a hundred times in one night not realizing each call cost a dollar (until your Mom got the phone bill!)

Yes, those were good times indeed… I will never forget them.

I was a little older than you so I was fortunate enough to be able to stay up and watch Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and be completely blown away by all those unforgettable performances. I was hooked. I couldn't get enough. He definitely pioneered the concept of music videos. If not for him, there would have been no MTV. Anyway, that's my tribute to Don Kirshner.

All the best…

Charles (Former Babysitter/Kiss Fan)